Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sod's law - first time in 12 years I didn't check the nets

As I arrived in Gravesend, the rain started. And it didn't stop until five minutes from the end. The torrential rain upset the usual match routine. The two teams took one look at the rain and retreated to the changing rooms, only venturing out a few minutes before the game. I took shelter in a dug out and  greeted the players as they took the field.

The game kicked off and the unfancied away team took a quick two-goal lead. A home striker shot from the far corner of the penalty area and the ball skidded across in front of the goalkeeper and off to the side of the goal. Defenders started moving into position for a goal kick.
But wait a second. I had seen something that wasn't quite right.
As the ball passed the far post, I had seen the net move and flutter in the air, as if the ball had passed through it rather than in front of it. I was just outside the area and ran to the goal. Sure enough, there was a ball sized hole in the net just where I'd seen it go through.
I blew for the goal. There weren't many complaints, most players realised what had happened and the goalkeeper acknowledged at half time that he'd seen the ball go in and out of the goal.
The real mistake here was mine. The players didn't realise it but I'd made a schoolboy error. In 12 years of refereeing, I've always checked the nets before the game. It's part of the referee's duties. But because of a bit of rain, I'd been distracted and came close to making a game-changing mistake.
The fact that I'd been concentrated and alert enough to spot the goal did not compensate.
That goal i gave made the score 2-1 and the home team soon equalised. By half time the score was 4-4 and that's how the game ended.
It's a mistake i won't make again.

No comments: