Pages

Friday, September 04, 2015

Never been so well prepared for a season

On Saturday I'll be reffing my first elague game of the season. Coincidentally the game is exactly the same feature as I ended last season with, in Division One of the Kent County League.
But in many ways, things could not be more different.

In May, I was four and a half stone heavier than I am now. I'm still no beanpole and have another 3 stone or so to lose, but I've undergone something of a transformation since the spring, when I finally realised - encouraged by a doctor's pronouncement that I was now a Type 2 Diabetic - that I needed to do something serious about my lifestyle and health.
The weight loss has been gradual but steady and I've also bought a "FitBit" that has made me somewhat obsessive about the amount I walk during the day. Getting in the 10,000 steps daily has become something of a personal challenge.
It means that instead of walking from my office in north London to Camden Town tube station half a mile away, I walk a couple of miles and a few stations further along the Northern Line to Warren Street before jumping on the Tube.
I'm working hard to replace fat with muscle. I've spent quite a lot of time at the gym this summer and I'll be reffing twice a weekend from now on, something I haven't done for several years.
I've also got a few friendlies in as well as a line for the opening game of the Premier Division a couple of weeks ago, which has helped me to get my eye in and remind me of the importance of keeping concentration levels up throughout the game.
The FitBit tells me I'm covering about 8 kilometres (5 miles) during a game.
I've noticed that at my new weight, I'm considerably faster around the pitch and it's clearly improved my decision-making and credibility on the pitch. It can be depressing to have players telling you you're not keeping up with play, even if they're just trying to get one over on you, but I'm hoping they won't have that excuse this season.
The diet has worked well so far, well enough in fact for the doctor to tell me I no longer have diabetic readings. I'm hoping to be 15 stone by Christmas, still no lightweight but a long way from the ridiculous weight I managed to climb to by the time I kicked off the diet on April 15.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good on you Simon. Look forward to catching up with you during the season. Ypu are going to have to change the name of your blog now in keeping with the new profile!